Thursday, August 6, 2009

No wonder lawyers don't feel like they understand themselves.

I was just hit by a BFO (Blinding Flash of the Obvious.)

I was just watching the trailer for the documentary, The Trials of Law School. The prof expounded on how they tear down 1L’s, how they’re never the same, and how they learn to think like lawyers. Every lawyer has heard that. No big surprise.

That’s when the BFO struck me. No wonder lawyers feel like they don’t understand themselves. Lawyers are one human being up until entering law school. They walk in as one human being to undertake this program of study and walk out three years later as a vastly different human being.

No wonder lawyers need help understanding themselves. The very fact of who they are as human beings has changed through the course of study.

2 comments:

Quirkybutsmart said...

This was not done to me in ther program of law I attended. I think I am a better lawyer for it. But the entore culture of law is highly reductionistic,so it still kills the soul.

Dr. Leah - Consultant for Lawyers said...

Reductionistic - nice word for it, Carroll. Glad you escaped without the tear down process.